It took a bit to put this recipe together but it was worth it. The dressing is superb! Simple ingredients create a dish that’s packed with flavour. Have someone help you prep the ingredients – it’s more fun and it gets others engaged. I learned that being a good host starts with including others in making a meal. Ricardo’s magazine always has the most interesting recipes that aren’t complicated. The best dish can sometimes be the least complicated. I loved this one so much I want to share it with you! The dressing will now be my go-to for Caesar Salads. 🙂
Here’s the recipe:
Prep time 25 minutes
… INGRIDENTS …
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
¾ (180ml) canola oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
1 tsp capers, chopped
2 tsp anchovy paste (I used jarred anchovies and mashed them)
¾ cup (55g) finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1 ½ cups (85g) diced white bread (I used a bagette)
1 tbsp (15ml) canola oil (extra virgin olive oil)
4 cups (180g) thinly sliced romaine lettuce
1 ¼ cups (215g) shredded cooked chicken
3 slices cooked bacon, chopped
6 round rice paper wrappers, about 9 inches (23cm) in diameter
… THE PROCESS FOR THE DRESSING …
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice and garlic. Add one-third of the oil, drop by drop, whisking constantly. When the emulsion begins to form a mayonnaise, drizzle in the remaining oil, whisking constantly. Add the capers, anchovy paste and Parmesan. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
… THE PROCESS FOR THE ROLLS …
- In a non-stick pan skillet over medium-high heat, brown the bread in the oil. Let the croutons cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, chicken, bacon and croutons. Toss the salad with half of the Caesar dressing.
- In a shallow dish of hot water, soak one sheet of rice paper at a time for a few seconds or until softened. Remove from water. Drain and place of work surface.
- Spoon ¾ cup of salad onto the bottom third of the rice paper. Fold both side of the sheet toward the centre. Tightly roll to enclose the filling.
- Cover the roll with a damp cloth and continue with the remaining ingredients.
- Serve with remaining Caesar dressing on the side.